Monday, October 10, 2016

Welcome, One and All



So, this is my blog.

 I'm doing it.

 This is really just going to be a place to jot down my random musings. Probably will dip into a bit of topical issues, daily things, and my thoughts on life in general. I may post some prose and poetry from time to time. Nothing groundbreaking. I'm still trying to find a voice and a direction that I want to go in, but rather than wait, I would rather start blogging now and hopefully this will help me shape some sort of purpose for this blog.

 I'm going through a very transitional stage right now and I'm also trying to shape a purpose for my future and define my goals and vision for the next few years of my life. I graduated from college in May with an English degree. I know, I know, not the best major to take if you want to be financially stable. But it's really the only thing I could envision myself enjoying at the time period. If I could go back, maybe I would change it, but maybe I wouldn't. Being an English major definitely was different than other majors and it did lead me to a lot of great friends and professors (not to mention a crap-ton of papers.)

So now, I'm out, free, and not quite sure what I want to do. There's so many options, it feels kind of paralyzing to choose. I know I have to. I'm working at a public library, which is definitely the job I want, but the only problem is that my position is only part-time. I want have to find a full-time job soon, but many better-paying library positions seem to require a Master's degree. So I'm also considering going back to school. The only Master's program in my state is available online, which I think I would like. But I have to find some good funding source because most grad school scholarships require a high GPA which I didn't exactly make in college thanks to Spanish classes. My parents want me to start right away, but it's looking like I should probably wait and prepare more since I didn't really settle on the idea until August.

 Speaking of August, if you didn't know, a massive rainstorm pounded us here in southeastern Louisiana 2 months ago and flooded tens of thousands of homes across multiple parishes, including mine. We managed to pack some stuff in the attic or take it with us when we left, but lost all of our furniture, TVs, and most of our clothes and books. Nothing can prepare you for 4 feet of water in your house. It destroys everything. We've had to rip out every single wall and all the insulation and reinstall new insulation and sheetrock, which has been taking up most of our time for the past two months. Thank goodness my father bought an RV ten years ago so we had a nice place to stay. If you've never been homeless before, it's a really awful feeling. So yeah, that's been going on.

 Obviously, I'm still living at home with my parents. It's not really a big deal, since most other millennials are in the same boat. It's helped me save up a good bit in the bank that would otherwise be going to rent and stuff. A year ago, it was hard for me to imagine moving out, but now, I'm coming to terms with it. I'm ready to move out now, but I still don't have the steady income of a full-time job to justify it. It's not that I don't love my parents or sisters anymore, I just am kind of feeling that it's my time. I know it will still be lonely when I move out on my own, but I think I'm ready for it.

 So that's where I'm at: a transition period waiting on things to line up. This tragedy has actually helped me to let go of some things and to really put my eye on my future, which obviously I'm still figuring out. Even just blogging about it is really kind of helping to get my ideas into words where I can evaluate them better than the thoughts in my head which come and go so fast sometimes they don't stick. Through it all, I'm working hard on my first novel, the first story I can actually envision myself finishing. I'm about halfway through and I really think it could shape up to be something special. I've also been making a point to be more professional and to clarify short-term goals and start working toward them. One of these goals was starting a blog, so yay!

 That's about it for now. Hopefully, this will be something I can look back on five or ten years from now and see how much I've grown. And if someone else enjoys reading my ramblings, well, awesome. Great. If you're reading this and you're kinda in the same boat, shoot me a message or a comment. I'd be glad to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment